Archaeology comes from two Greek words – “archae” means ancient and “logos” means “knowledge”; thus, “the knowledge or study of antiquities”. Archaeologist is much more than the character of Indiana Jones, chasing around the world looking for old artifacts to place them in the Museum. Archaeology is the science that studies ancient cultures by recovering and documenting materials from the past. Christian archaeology is the science of studying ancient cultures that influenced Christianity and Judaism, and on Jewish and Christian culture. Christian archaeologists trying to discover new things about the past – they are trying to confirm what we already know and to expand our understanding of the manners and customs of the peoples of the Bible.
Biblical texts and other written records are the most important information about the history of ancient biblical peoples that we have. But these records were left unanswered many questions. It is here on the scene of Christian archaeologists. They can fill in the partial picture presented by the biblical narrative. Excavations of ancient garbage dumps and abandoned cities have provided bits and pieces that give us the key to the past. The goal of Christian archaeology to check the most important truths of the old and New Testaments through the physical artifactory peoples.
Christian archaeology was an academic discipline until the nineteenth century. The Foundation of Christian archaeology was founded by such people as Johann Jahn, Edward Robinson, and sir Flinders Petrie. William Albright became the dominant figure in the twentieth century. Exactly Albright drew Christian archaeology to contemporary debates about the origin and authenticity of the biblical narrative. Albright and his students have provided most of the physical evidence described in the Bible historical events. However, today it seems that there are as many archeologists trying to disprove the Bible, and how many of those who proves its accuracy. Continue reading
In the Archaeological Museum of Istanbul, presents rare works of art belonging to ancient civilizations in different regions from Balkans to Africa, from Anatolia and Mesopotamia to Arab Peninsula and Afghanistan that were part of the Ottoman Empire. In 1881, six years after the transfer of the Imperial Museum of antiquities and weapons from the Church. Irina in the pavilion was Repaired its Director was a prominent Turkish intellectual, artist and archaeologist Osman Hamdi Bey (1842-1910). The new Director has actively worked to transform the Museum . resembling just a warehouse of antique items of various values. Under his leadership, the archaeological excavations on the territory of the Ottoman Empire enriched the collection of the Museum many priceless masterpieces.
In 1891 under the order of Osman Hamdi Bey in Istanbul the famous architect, educated in Paris, Alexander Valluri (1850-1921) built a new building of the Archaeological Museum . called the Museum of sarcophagi (Asar-ı-Atika). In 1903, in connection with the increase in the number of exhibits were added the North wing, and in 1907 and South. In the design of the façade of this neoclassical building is clearly traced the motifs of the style of the most famous exhibits is the sarcophagus of Alexander and the Wailers. In one hundred years (1991) to meet the needs of a modern Museum . to the South-Eastern facade of the old Archaeological Museum prystailove, six-story building, first two floors are used as storage. The greatest interest among the exhibits on display in the old building of the Archaeological Museum are the marble sarcophagi of Royal (IV BC) from the necropolis of Sidon (Sidon, Lebanon). This is the sarcophagus of Sidon Abdalonymos called sarcophagus of Alexander the great, because the decorative friezes on its two long sides depict the scenes of battle and hunting with the participation of the great commander. And the tomb of STRATO, called the sarcophagus of the mourning women, because of the abundance of the weeping inmates of the harem of the voluptuous lords. There is also a collection of sculpture from the archaic period to the Byzantine Empire. The results of archaeological excavations in the valley of the Meander, Aphrodisias, Ephesus, Miletus and Manisa. Continue reading
Special containment procedures: SCP-477 must be in the building with climate control, labelled as Area 44. The building was built using only metal and wood, no stone or concrete building materials. Externally it looks like a hangar for storage of equipment non-existent career, but in fact there are numerous laboratories, which are essential for learning and maintenance of SCP-477. Samples of sedimentary rocks or concrete items allowed to be taken out for limits of complex content, only after grinding and mixing with acidic clay slurry to dissolve the entire fossil material was found.
Individuals of SCP-477, appeared outside the Zone 44 must be immediately captured and returned to the complex, or destroyed by shredding and acid treatment of the substrate carrier.
Description: a Thin layer of Cambrian slate, covering an area of about 2 km2 on the plateau, Mongolia. Deposits rich in fossils preserved in water, collectively designated as SCP-477. These fossils are remarkable for both its diversity and the fact that they are able to move and imitate life, floating in the thick stone as if it was the ocean that they lived 520 million years ago.
Individuals of SCP-477 are able to move through all tested types of sedimentary rocks, with no visible resistance. In atomistic main threat to the successful maintenance, as the revived fossil escaped into another geological formation that is very difficult to catch (not eliminated, and reproduction of escaped, see the incident 477-01). They are unable to leave their stone habitats for the movement in an aqueous or gaseous medium and can’t pass through soil, sand, clay and other porous substrates. Continue reading